Cold Weather Tips From Hugh
With us experiencing extreme cold temperature and winter weather throughout the central Virginia area, now is the time to make sure your heating system will keep you out of the cold. Proper care can keep your unit running smoothly. Here are a few cold weather tips from Hugh Joyce, Owner of James River Air:
- Make sure your filters are clean.
- Keep an eye on your outdoor units and furnace flue for ice, obstructions, or noises.
- Monitor crawl spaces and attics for cold damage or leaks. Be sure your crawl space vents are closed.
- If you have pipes prone to freezing, monitor them and if needed place heat on them from a safe light or heater source.
- Electrical Panels – monitor for excess heat and overload situations.
- Pets – Make sure your furry friends have a warm place and be super careful with antifreeze which will kill them.
- Pay extreme attention to all aspects of your home, cold can cause severe problems.
- We suggest thermostat settings of 68-70 degrees and NOT setting thermostat back at night. Warmer indoor temperatures help reduce freezing risks.
- Temperature “drop” when temps fall below 20 degrees many systems cannot maintain set points, this is normal, Systems will run continuously, this is normal, aux heat may be on all the time, this is normal. The federal department of energy design temp for Richmond is 18 degrees and any time temps drop below this number droop may occur.
- Be sure doors , windows, attics, and crawl spaces are well sealed and secured.
- Call James River Air Conditioning if you need any help with heating, plumbing, electrical or appliance service.
If you have any questions or need someone to look at your unit, give us a call at (804) 358-9333 or click here to schedule a service call and we will be glad to assist you.